kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Reintroduced Siamese Crocodile exhibits first time nesting . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: sick african dwarf froggies.... help!....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Herpetological Health Forum ]

Posted by lizardman on March 18, 2003 at 06:25:33:

In Reply to: sick african dwarf froggies.... help!.... posted by Herp_luv on March 14, 2003 at 14:38:41:

:Hello. My african dwarf frogs have had some problems lately, and I'm wondering if they may have ich (small, white lumps have been appearing on a few of them). I'm not sure if the problem could be another illness, since I'm not sure if aquatic amphibians can develop ich or not. I believe the problem may've been brought on by stress. The lumps sort of "blend in" with their naturally textured skin, but they do seem to be abnormal. This would be disastrous, since some of my females are ready to lay eggs. If I put ich medication in the water, may that effect the eggs, if they are laid in the medicated water? Two frogs have died over the past week, seeming to have internally hemorrhaged of sorts. They did look like they had ich, and I think that they may've had the problems that eventually killed them when I purchased them. The frogs are currently eating, swimming about, and even going through amplexus, seemingly happy and healthy. However, the individuals with the small, white lumps have been hanging out a bit close to the surface of the water (not dying, they are swimming fine, they just prefer to "hang out" a bit closer to the surface than the other frogs, but they do not float on the surface or anything of that sort). Does it sound like they may have ich, or another disease that pipids are prone to? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Have a nice day!
:Sincerely,
:Alexia

You may want to test your water quality first; ex.: pH, hardness & nitrates. Once water quality is ruled out, I would suggest to have a vet do a mucosal smear from one of the frogs' skin & determine the culprit. This may be either: fungal, protozoal, helminth, bacterial or viral & therefore, I would suspect that any other frogs in the same water have been infected. Depending on what medication is prescribed, the eggs may or may not be affected. Goodluck

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Herpetological Health Forum ]