kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Safety!!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The General Snake Forum ]

Posted by oldherper on April 19, 2003 at 06:50:32:

In Reply to: Safety!!!! posted by Classic_Dums on April 19, 2003 at 04:25:42:

Some other things that will make a snake let go are ammonia inhalers (keep one taped to the cage of any snake you may need it for) and bending it's tail backwards (if you can reach it). The main thing is to always have someone else with you when working with really big snakes. Never underestimate them, and always keep an eye on the head. Even if they are normally docile and easy going, don't let your guard down. There are a number of techniques for handling them safely. Find someone else in your area that has a lot of experience with them and ask them for help and advice. Most of the time people are more than willing to help.

:Research research research. Then see if you can find an adult yellow someone will let you handle and gain a little experience with. This will help you in making the choice if you are really ready. Also once the snake gets larger, at least have one other adult who knows what to do when you handle the snake for any reason. Jack Daniels works great for getting a snake to release you. There are some other things too, mouthwash, hot water, and some others that are escaping me right now. We have always had a small amount of Jack around for such cases. It works, we've had to use it once and she let go in a hurry now! Get a snake hook if you don't already have one, don't reach right in with bare hands to get the animal. This is all I can think of this early in the AM, hope it helped some. Oh and just for the record, larger doesn't mean meaner....LOL. Right now we have a baby boa who is nasty as sin, but my burm is a sweetie....LOL

:Danni :) SMILE

:
::Hey all, Im going to start breeding my red tail boas here soon. But I have given alot of thought and research on anacondas and im looking at geting a sub adult yellow anaconda here soon, but do you all have any tips? Whats the best thing to do if I get bit and it doesnt want to let go? About what size cage would be best for me and the snake? And any advice you could give me would be great. I think im ready for a larger more meaner snake now, I keep 10 snakes (mostly boids) and a 3 foot gator. Well thanks alot guys!
::Philip

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The General Snake Forum ]