kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: odd behavior?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The General Snake Forum ]

Posted by greg woodie on February 19, 2003 at 15:12:10:

In Reply to: Re: odd behavior? posted by GRR on February 19, 2003 at 14:42:57:

:I have a few questions for you about the cages.

:Do you move things around alot in the cage?
:The reseaon I ask is.......Snakes do not like change like we do. What we think is a new nice look is not so nise fo the snake. This could be the reason he is smelling the outside of his hide.

:Do you switch hide between the two snakes?
:This is another reason it could be doing this. Smelling the other snake!

:i haven't done that, but i have noticed something else in the last couple days. i switched the Cal King's bedding from aspen to shredded newspaper. ever since, he's been 'doing laps' in his cage like he's restless. should i switch him back to aspen?

thanks!
greg

:

:
::i was wondering if anyone else has ever seen this. i have a Cal King and a Texas Rat. the Cal King sometimes will go up to his hide-box and flick his tongue on the edge like he smells something. he'll do it for more than a minute at a time. the Texas Rat has done the same thing, only he does it with his food! FLICK! FLICK! FLICK! FLICK! FLICK! it's funny and i know snakes can't make facial expressions, but the whole time they have this puzzled look on their face like 'what's this?!?' i wonder if snakes are obsessive/compulsive? LOL!! anybody have similar experiences?

:: thanks!
:: greg

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The General Snake Forum ]