kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

59Herps: I need you again...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Lizard Forum ]

Posted by zz on January 16, 2003 at 21:49:42:

Piglet is getting ready to shed (which makes me feel like I am doing the right thing), however, I have issues with his dirt. I have the 8 inches in there, but the dirt sticks to him an awful lot (especially now!). It gets into his eyes, his nose, the corner of his mouth. I mean I have to give him a rub down with warm and wet paper towel just to feed him! Is there another substrate I can use that doesn't stick so badly.??

I also don't know how this shed thing works...I have given him a shallow dish, in case he wants to bathe, it is over part of the UTH making the water warm and I have continued to mist him at least 1 per day--does he need more? Am I going to see the shedded skin like with my snakes...will he eat it like some other lizards?? Do I need to do something special...more light, heat, moisture, food...ahhhhhhh it can be maddening. (at least for someone anal like me... :P )

However, I still have yet to see him on the top of the soil. Despite the fact that I have 2 hides... a plant and 1/2 log. I have bought small crix for him and he hasn't eaten them...now they are adults. However, up until this week, he will take canned and some dog food, by hand. He has refused food during his shed and seems to enjoy the rub down. I am someone who loves to consult booklets as my animals grow and change (and sometimes just to refresh my self). Is there any other source I can turn to??(Not that I don't appreciate your advice...you are my--and piglet's hero!)

As you can see by the picture... he looks miserable, his tail is clearing up though. Can you see the peices of dirt embedded in his scales...isn't this bad?? He is also flattening on the bottom, maybe from not eating since Monday? I have a log of the times he has eaten and what he eats...he usually only eats about 4-8 insects (more if mealworms, less is tiny crix). He slowed down and only ate 3 meal worms last Saturday and ate 6 meal worms on Monday. I don't know if that is normal. (my snakes will eat when in shed, and my lizard just gets more sensitive to touch...which Piglet has done also.)

I know this post is incredibly long... you are the only human being who has heard of this thing...I am sorry.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Lizard Forum ]