kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

hot dogs

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Alligator and Crocodilian Forum ]

Posted by Crocs4Me on May 11, 2003 at 18:45:53:

In Reply to: hot dogs posted by jamesag on May 11, 2003 at 17:25:30:

:i went to a reptile show today and was looking at alligators.not to buy but just to look. a pet shop (regal reptile) was trying to convince me to buy the alligator by telling me all i had to do was throw it in a 20 gallon tank with a water heater and feed it hotdogs. is it realy ok to feed an alligator hotdogs regularly? and one more thing , they told me that as long as i keep the temp down in the gators tank it will be tame. i realize that an alligator can not be kept in a small fishtank , but is this true that i could feed an alligator hotdogs and keep his temp down to keep him tame?((i seem to doubt this for some reason)
:-thanks

Well that talk certainly sounds familiar, Not real good advertising for Regal Reptiles either for that matter...What he told you is pure nonsense..First of all, hotdogs are NOT a natural diet of a growing alligator..I've observed alligators in the wild for several years and never once have I seen them catch and kill the dreaded swamp hotdog..Them things is fast and hard to catch!...lol..I'm being sarcastic here as you can tell as I get a chuckle out of some of those vendors selling lines they try and use...Alligators eat mainly insects when babies and then work thier way up to larger prey items like Fish, Rats, birds and larger animals as they grow..I do not think it's very healthy for gators to be rating hotdogs as it's not really good for people as well to eat those things..lol..As far as keeping them cold so they will remain tame, tame is not a word I use with an alligator..Tractable is more the word I use and if you keep him cold for one, he's not going to be able to digest food properly and 2 it will probably stunt his growth and eventually kill him after awhile..A 20 gallon tank will only house him for a couple of months anyways...Don't fall for some of those vendors lines as they are only looking to get rid of what they got at anybodies expense and will tell you anything to try and get you to be the next sucker inline..Hope this helps.For more on what to how to house and feed an alligator check out the crocodilian FAQ..Lot's of great information there.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Alligator and Crocodilian Forum ]