kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Is this a Garter Snake? (Found near Buffalo NY today)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Garter and Ribbon Snake Forum ]

Posted by Lyn on May 01, 2003 at 19:47:28:

In the 5 years I've lived in my current home just outside of Buffalo, I've never seen a snake in my yard (and I do a lot of gardening and yardwork). My next door neighbor found this little snake, which I'm assuming is a type of Garter Snake, in his yard while cleaning up some of last years leftover leaves. He brought him right over in case he was one of mine that escaped (I am not missing any snakes) and also because he knew I'd like to see him even if he wasn't one of mine. I took lots of pics, to see them all go to my website and click on "Wild Snake". Here are a few of them. I don't have a snake guide and was curious if he was a Garter Snake, and if there are diff types of Garter Snakes in my area. Would love any info anyone can provide on this little charmer. I'm going to let him go in my backyard since I haven't cleaned up all my sticks and leaves yet and have a much more "wild" area for him to roam around in. My neighbors have 3 kids and they've cleaned up the leaf pile he'd been hiding in. Hope it's ok to release him in a diff yard? Here are some pics...

Here is the top of his head

He has a solid pinkish/brown belly

He is brown with a lighter brown stripe down his back and some black speckles

Another view of his markings

Side view of his face

I still have him in the house if you need diff angle pics or have questions that the pics don't answer, but I'd like to release him soon. He's been inside about an hour already and I'm sure he's anxious to get back outside. Thanks in advance!

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Garter and Ribbon Snake Forum ]