kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Just a taste.....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Field Collecting Forum ]

Posted by RMB on May 12, 2003 at 08:56:06:

I will post a few pics just to whet your appetite.
I just got back from field research in two Ontario sites (which shall remain confidential as is required by the University). For those who do not recall what the research entails you can follow the link at the bottom of the page.
We reached our 100 skink sample (to ensure our results are significant) in under three days of grueling searches in the sweltering heat of the sheer-rock cliffs of the shield. Man, these skinks sure can motor at these temperatures but only two skinks managed to evade our capturing techniques. Anyways, aside from the 100 skinks sampled, I have found countless redback salamanders and spotted salamanders, two ring neck snakes, a lovely female Dekay's snake, two smooth green snakes were found as well as many black rat snakes and garters. The more common frogs and toads were found as well as some peepers and chorus frogs. Surprisingly, many bats were found under the rocks in the morning, in fact one rock contained four sleeping bats, a redback salamander, a wasp's nest, and a large male five-lined skink!
Anyways, here are a few pictures I took:

This was the first skink found, a first year juvenile near a site on Lake Huron.

This big boy was the first adult I found in the same site as the juvenile above, he was a feisty biter!

Here is the same male about to get his measurements taken and his non-destructive tissue sampling for our genetic studies.

This male was captured by me and turned out to be the largest skink captured at this particular site (Eastern Ontario), an SVL (snout to vent length) of 80.34mm!

Finally, just a quick pic of one of the little bats I found under a rock. They didn't like to be forced awake but they weren't very aggressive, they just wanted back under their rock...sooo cute :)

I am off to Northern Michigan on Wednesday to start the research on the disjunct populations of FLS in 13 US states.
Cheers,
Ryan M Bolton

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Field Collecting Forum ]