kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: So, You're One of Those Guys...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Field Collecting Forum ]

Posted by chrish on April 02, 2003 at 20:17:54:

In Reply to: So, You're One of Those Guys... posted by txherper on March 31, 2003 at 23:20:37:

I meant to hit you up on your reply to the prarie king thread on the other forum, but I couldn't shoot you an email. Just curious to know what areas of Brazoria Co. you've herped in the past.

I went to high school on the west side of Houston and have herped and birded the counties west and SW of houston in quite a few areas over the years. In Brazoria, most of my herping has been along the coastal areas of the county, generally indirectly while birding.

Sistrurus, horridus, Arizona, Smooth Green (I always forget that one), triangulum, diadophis, etc. Also the amphibian life, esp. amphiuma and siren(i've somehow slipped into the amphib interest group).

I haven't found any of those in Brazoria (and I've never found a Smooth Green). I have found Arizona and Diadophis DOR in Colorado county in similar sorts of habitat (coastal prairie). I have never found a siren in eastern TX, although I haven't ever set traps anywhere for them. I have seen Amphiuma in some of the roadside ditches in Chambers County at night, but never looked in similar habitats in Brazoria. I'm sure if you set some minnow traps you could come up with both salamanders.

Another good one to find in that part of TX, which may be going extinct in that area is an Eastern Garter (sirtalis). I have found one down closer to Aransas county and one in W. Harris County, but never anywhere else. They are really scarce (like the green snakes).

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Field Collecting Forum ]