kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Make sure you are............

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Feeder Forum ]

Posted by franklin edwards on May 03, 2003 at 22:46:58:

In Reply to: What to Feed? posted by Sonya on May 02, 2003 at 19:14:58:

Make sure you are giving your mom mice a diet that has at least a 21%+ protien diet.

::Best thing to do is go out to a pet store and get some rodent chow. They look like blocks sometimes called lab blocks, lab meal, rat and mouse food. Cat and dog food are not healthy choises for either mouse or snake and can lead to red die poisoning in your snake. You want the mice to be healthy for the snake so the snake will be healthy.

:You avoid red dye dog foods. Simple. Most breeding rodents are burning the higher fat and protein of the dog or cat and it is fine for them. I would hazard a guess that a majority of people raising feeders feed it. If you can get your rodents to eat lab block, more power to you. But I found animals bred constantly don't get enough from them and tend to pave the cage with them instead of eating them.
: Other rodent mixes are just an assortment of seeds and alfalfa pellets. You can mix it yourself and not spend nearly as much. I buy sunflower seed for my wild bird feeders. Then I mix that with Dove feed and that is a seed mix for the mice and hamsters. Also feeding cat kibble if they are working with loads of pups and dog kibble if they are just average breeding. Oatmeal for hoppers to eat when they are first eyes open and eating solids. They also tend to get leftovers of pasta, rice, vegetables etc.
:Sonya

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Feeder Forum ]