kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: 50g rat breeder tubs?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Feeder Forum ]

Posted by DeMak on April 08, 2003 at 21:36:30:

In Reply to: what size colony for 50g rat breeder tubs? posted by ross2k on April 08, 2003 at 20:56:55:

Ross

:Anyone else have any thoughts? These are the red and green christmas style 50g rubber maids.

How many gals. or qts.(or liters or pecks) is only part of the equation. I think its more helpful to think in terms of floor space and litter changes. I keep no more than 1.4 breeders in sterite tubs (either 66 qt. tall or 32 qt. short) that have 2.6 sq. ft. of floor or .5 per rat. At this level, sometimes litter changes are nessecary mid week. Thats a drag, so I usually keep 1.2 and 0.3 (or even 1.3 , 0.1 and 0.1 when two moms have litters of different ages). I put some 1"X2"s between then for ventilation and stack them up. I keep the moms with Big Daddy till the day after they give birth, then I move them to cages to nurse. If two births are close together, I'll house them together. If not I'll house them alone. I think when the litters are more than a couple of days apart, the first litter gets most of the milk and the second litter is stunted. I have NO records to prove this, it's just what I think.

As for growing out, I would use a low container like the 32 qt. sterite (6 1/2" tall, 16" wide and 24" long). I don't remember how many I've kept in these, I know it was a lot. The same kind of sq. ft. idea applies, but allow that each rat has much less body mass than your breeders. If your breeders weigh 500 - 600 grams and your growing out to 250 grams, them maybe 10? Maybe more in the beginning. Seems to me I had 12 mediums in one with no harm. Just watch and keep them clean, they do poop alot while they're growing.

Let us know how it goes.

DeMak

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Feeder Forum ]