kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Temperment & intelligence

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Elapidae Forum ]

Posted by Jeremy G on May 01, 2003 at 07:34:28:

In Reply to: Temperment & intelligence posted by cfoley on April 30, 2003 at 10:13:28:

I personaly dont belive "least aggresive" applies to any Naja. They all seem to be aggresive from time to time, especially during feeding time! However, out of all of the sp, I agree, Monacleds are probally one of the most likely to clam down(not in my case though! Both of nmine are pretty bad). I have also seen adult Naja naja and Naja siamensis which were docile as can be. Belive it or not, it would seem almost ever LTC or CB specimen of Naja nigricollis I have worked with has been so laid back that they wont hood at all! Even my juvi has only hooded maybe 3 times since ive had her and never has spit. I heard of quite a few which were bought as display animals only to disapoint their keepers because they would never hood and looked more like a dull indigo then a pissy Naja. However, Ive have also heard quite a few horror stories with WCs of this sp. Alot come in carzed supposedly and many never calm down.

Regards,
J

:The intelligence thing doesn't work for me either...Have you ever heard anyone call a snake "stupid"? So how can you call a snake the most intelligent?

:As far as temperment, it really varies. Forest cobras are supposed to be notoriously aggressive, if I was that type of person, I would freehand my forest (but I dont freehand any hot snake, and never intend to). I have heard Spectacleds are supposed to be calm, but mine was just as bad as a true forest. Due to my experience (and a little common sense. i.e. my forest is my calmest snakes, but I know damn well they dont have the best temperment) I would have to go with the monocled cobra. The spectacled cobra makes a close second however. I would imagine alot of you reverse that or even have completely different snakes up there, but thats just my opinion.

:Good Luck
:Chris

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Elapidae Forum ]