kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Captive Bred Crotalus?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Crotalidae Forum ]

Posted by Blackwater on February 25, 2003 at 03:52:06:

In Reply to: Captive Bred Crotalus? posted by johnwblume on February 24, 2003 at 21:47:46:

The short answer (my opinion of course), is that Europeans have a slightly harder time acquiring wild caught crotalus than we do. It's cheaper to buy wild caught, so most people buy them. If someone can't make expenses, why would they breed venomous snakes? Look at the more expensive types (Albino Eastern, Western diamondbacks and Prairies) and you can find all the captive bred ones you can afford.... but the same people aren't breeding "common" snakes because there's no money in it, for the most part...

I breed snakes because I like snakes. I'm currently keeping lots of species that people consider "trash" and frankly, they're a lot more fun to keep than some of the "desirable" species around.... Captive bred means a lot less hassles, and a lot fewer opportunities for the keeper to get bit (medicating, etc) and a lot less stress on the animals and the keeper.....

So it's my not so humble opinion that necessity is once again the Mother of Invention.... our European friends can't walk into their back yard and collect rattlesnakes... importing them is an option, and they do... they also come here to collect... but for the most part, it's easier to breed the snakes inEurope than to import them, so that's what they do. Our European friends aren't necessarily better at breeding, they just have more incentive than we have.....

Tom

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Crotalidae Forum ]