kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

I am not sure what paper I saw it in,...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Crotalidae Forum ]

Posted by Kenny Wray on November 19, 2002 at 10:49:34:

In Reply to: Neruotoxic properties found in Crotalus horridus horridus... posted by Jeremy G on November 18, 2002 at 08:43:58:

but if you are talking strictly neurotoxic vs. strictly hemotoxic, that this theory is now out the window. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe I read that most venom studies on Crotalus have now shown that there is always some combination of both properties, but usually with one property more prevalent than the other.
As for Timbers and venom, Paul Moler and Ginger Clark in Florida have been working on venoms from C. horridus throughout thier range, but I don't believe they have published anything yet.
As I recall, the venom of horridus horridus is far less potent when compared to all populations of atricaudatus, with the venoms of the extreme SE Georgia and NE Florida animals being far and away the worse. In conversations I have had, it has been told to me that the neurotoxic properties of this population were worse than C. scutulatus in CA and AZ. In looking at bite records from these areas, there was an extremely high mortality rate (>50 %, but I don't recall the exact number) But, this may be a misleading stat as there have been very few bites from this area in recent times (the majority of these records were prior to the second World War), owing in large part to the extermination of the majority of this population due to land development. Keep in mind that this population has a very small range from esentially Valdosta, GA south to Gainesville, FL in a very narrow belt, not all of S GA and N FL.
As for timbers vs. canebrakes, I have always thought of them as being different from each other in size, body form, and coloration, not so much as habitat. I think the correlation in the SE of habitat and subspecies is because of the limited upland areas. I have seen horridus in upland areas of OK and TX and KS that I would not hesitate to call anything other than canebrakes, but that is just me.
Try and contact Paul Moler or Ginger Clark, they could point you in the best direction on this topic.
Later, KW

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Crotalidae Forum ]