kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

thank you

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Chameleon Forum ]

Posted by compasscreek on April 26, 2003 at 22:48:07:

In Reply to: another rookie question posted by charm_paradise on April 26, 2003 at 16:41:32:

thanks john! i'm sure the same questions get asked and answered all the time. i appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

i just finished setting up the cage in the spot it will be staying and hooked up the reptisun lite. i still need to pick up a surge protector plug strip so i have more plug room, and a couple plants. the temp has come up to a constant 80 degrees but the humidity is staying right about 55%, but i guess the plants will take care of that. my wife isn't happy about the spot i selected for the cage, she says it is the "center peace of the room now!". but i think it would be the best spot. SHE wanted the cage and chameleon in our bedroom you know, out of sight. i said whats the point of having something if it is out of sight from everyone.

anyway thanks again!!
dennis

:Hi- Panther chameleons need a basking spot 85-90F and the cage needs a gradient temp 90F at the basking area, and lower temps as you move down the cage, so that the chameleon can thermo-regulate its body temp. The humidity needs to be in the 80% range and will lower over the day, so misting will help keep this up, and live plants. One large plant will be okay, but the more you can put in the cage the better, I would recommend at least 2. You should also get a bio vine to chris cross over the top of the cage. This will be where your panther will bask! When you take the humidity reading, it should be in the middle of the cage by the live plants, this will be where your panther will hang around during the day after he warms up at the basking area. Since you have everything to set the cage up and are just waiting on the chameleon, you should get everything all set up, and you can adjust the lighting and heating as needed so you have it all perfect when the panther comes! Hope this helps!

:John

:

::i have about 3 or 4 weeks to get thios right. i have my cage(haven't goten my cham yet)set up in on the kitchen table(we never seem to use it anyay! LOL). i have the temp gage and the humidity gage still in the their packaging just laying on the floor of the cage. the temp gage pretty much stays just under 80 and the humidity gage between 50-60%. how close am i to the temps and humidity level i need for a panther and how much of a difference will just adding the plant to the cage make? these temps and humdity levels are WITHOUT any of the cage lights on(basking or the reptisun 5.0).

::thanks
::dennis
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Chameleon Forum ]