kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: New Cage Time - YOUR Advice!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Chameleon Forum ]

Posted by Carlton on April 21, 2003 at 13:01:19:

In Reply to: New Cage Time - YOUR Advice! posted by livxpreshun on April 19, 2003 at 19:19:22:

Some ideas for you. First, find the bottom "pan" before you actually build the cage so you have an idea what is available sizewise. I find most plastic sweater bins that many folks use too small. Reptarium has some clear flexible "soft trays" in different sizes you could use. Get the biggest you can, and support the whole thing on a piece of exterior plywood tipped slightly toward one side. This way the water will drain to one spot for easy cleanups. The plywood will support the pots too, but won't get wet. Also check with hydroponics supply houses for flood table trays. They work really well and you can plumb a drain right into them. But, they cost. Lights are usually just put on top, or if the cage is tall and narrow along one side to give more light for the lower areas. To keep the cham from getting too close to the light you'll need to give him the right temp on a perch in his basking area. Regular house light bulbs work for heat spots at least, unless you want to try the heat/ub lights. You will need a UVB emitting bulb as well. If appearance is that important you can build a simple light plywood wall around the top of the cage to hide them. I would leave the top open to avoid overheating. You'll have to seal your wood somehow, so we suggest non-toxic waterbased sealers. Cages made from cheaper materials (wood) are not necessarily easy to build or maintain! I've built many cages but now have a commercially built screen panel cage that has been wonderful! No design problems I have to mess with constantly, nice looks, etc. It was built by Bob Sligh. I would buy it again twice over! There are lots of suggested designs on www.adcham.com "members setups" that might give ideas.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Chameleon Forum ]