kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: BigT...how do I find out about prohibited species...(more)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Chameleon Forum ]

Posted by Bigtattoo on April 14, 2003 at 18:23:33:

In Reply to: BigT...how do I find out about prohibited species...(more) posted by icequeen on April 14, 2003 at 08:29:54:

To my recollection it's only been in the last several months that they have restricted the export of the Prehensile Tailed or Solomon's Island Skink. These are primarily vegetarian lizards and true giant skinks. They don't breed as readily in captivity as do some of the giant skinks so they were being imported as wild caughts. It's more than likely that this individual was imported before the restrictions were in place and is a completely legal animal.

To answer the rest of your question. Here in the states the federal government sets the standard restrictions. The states have to follow those but they can make them more restrictive but not less. For instance in my state, Illinois you have restrictions on snakes over 8' and cannot own large cats or crocodilians. The next state over, Missouri does not have these restrictions. But all the states have to abide by the CITES convention on protected animals. PTS were added to the CITES list at the last convention which was held earlier this year. This doesn't prevent those already in possesion of these animals from disposing of them as they see fit but it does prevent them from buying any that have been smuggled in.

It's a real shame that this guy is in such bad shape because for those of us, like me, that appreciate the giant skinks and have the desire to breed them in captivity this guy is a poor candidate. He even sounds like a poor candidate for a pet and probably will meet an untimely demise. Too bad because these are really impressive animals and deserving of the best of care.

BigT

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Chameleon Forum ]