kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Is it time for me to switch cages?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Chameleon Forum ]

Posted by livxpreshun on April 12, 2003 at 18:50:42:

Ok, I have a cage that I built myself from 2x2s and plastic hardware cloth. A photo can be seen here. I installed a misting system and am concerned for the constant water hitting the wood, thinking it can lead to mold or warping. On top of that, I was at East Bay Vivarium yesterday and was told cages with aluminum screen are ok and do not cause problems with the cham's nails like reptariums do (which I think look terrible and feel cheap) - and also allow the cham to hunt its food which is better for the cham. They also said substrate is ok, sayking I could use a peat moss base with whole moss on top. However, I am thinking this would be bad with a misting system do to possible bacteria, etc? Finally, I see the screen cages sold by exocticreptiles.com, and others, and am wondering if these would be ok with my misting system thinking it is going to run off the bottom and then all over the place. Is there a way to contain the water in the cage?

I like the idea of switching to a screen cage but just want to know if it is worth it. Also - anyone have plans or pictures on building your own screen cages? Thank you!

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Chameleon Forum ]