kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Making a

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Caging Forum ]

Posted by chris_harper2 on April 13, 2003 at 23:09:52:

In Reply to: Making a posted by Chrysemys on April 13, 2003 at 11:31:17:

I've never done this (although I have kept turtles in stock tanks) but it may be possible.

The biggest problems will me if there is a "step" pattern on the tank side or if the side are curved too much.

Basically if there is any place on the side where a piece of glass can be set flush then it will work.

If there is a slight curve, acrylic or polycarbonate can be used but it will scratch more easily than glass and be more expensive.

If there is a step pattern, it could be tough.

Your biggest concern with glass will be that the tank will flex more than the glass will allow. You could put down a thick layer of polyurethane caulk or silicone, but the glass could still crack. But it's still doable.

For your general information...

If this is a plastic tank, I've attached floor drains to the bottom of the tanks instead of using the one on the side.

If you elevate the stock tank such that the middle of the bottom is not supported, the bottom will sag slightly and a floor drain can be installed at the lowest point. Saves a lot of time if you can manage it.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Caging Forum ]