kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Anybody know how much CB Louisiana Pines would be worth??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Bull, Pine, and Gopher Snake Forum ]

Posted by KJUN on March 19, 2003 at 18:43:04:

In Reply to: Anybody know how much CB Louisiana Pines would be worth?? posted by Kottonmouth on March 19, 2003 at 17:17:33:

Let me start by saying that I am not singling you out to point a finger or anything, but this post gives a sinking feeling to my stomach like a bad case of the flu. It scares me eve though I know that wasn't your intent. Lousiaia pionesnakes, as rare as they are, are probably the most misrepesented Pituophis out there. Additionally, there are almost deinitely more hybrids than pure ones out there right now. As rare as they are, I doubt if you were able to acquire PURE ones without knowing it. PLEASE, please, please don't mislabel them if there is ANY possibility that you are actually doing so! There are enough problems with the captive population of ruthveni already. We don't want more.

You MUST know locality or bloodline to call something a LA Pine in my opinion since there is NO way that you can difinitively ID one JUIST be appearances. (You might be able to say a snake isn't a ruthveni, but you can't say one IS a ruthveni by looks alone.) You also say that the "male is bright yellow with very well defined markings." Well, that doesn't sound like any pure ruthveni I've ever seen. Well defined markings isn't a description you use in reference to ruthveni...lol. The blotches in pure ones are often impossible to count accurately in the first 20% of the body of pure ones. The other blotches are like bullsnake blotches which are VERY easy to see as blotches but are NOT extremeley "well-defined" by the definition most of us seem to use.

It is possible you've got some of the almost definite hybrid LA pines that are often sold as pure errounously) like those that used to be sold by Cullota, Trumbower, and others.

Post some images, send us some images (kj@kingsnake.kingsnake.com), compare yours to the ones on the Pituophis page, etc. BUT, without a known bloodline and verifiable paper trail, give up calling them ruthveni, please!!! Sell them as generic eastern pines or something. Better yet, get rid of them to someone who doesn't want to bred and buy some animals that you KNOW or pure of one species or another and produce something you can stand behind without doubts: something you can be proud of producing and continuing for the future.

KJ

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Bull, Pine, and Gopher Snake Forum ]