kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

I agree...don't try to force him to come out...give him ...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Beginner Snake Forum ]

Posted by duffy on April 13, 2003 at 13:19:41:

In Reply to: Re: New to Snakes. Please Help posted by gyrfalcon on April 13, 2003 at 11:11:21:

...some other hiding places to choose from as he moves around and explores his new home. Be patient. And let him hide if he needs to. Right now his "security" is more important than the entertainment and enjoyment that you will get seeing him move around his cage. Leave some food out for him. Provide him with his other needs. Good luck with your new snake. Duffy

:According to your post, it sounds like the same day you acquired him, he went into hiding. this is normal. It takes snakes a little while to adjust to new surroundings. This may just be his "spot." Is it possible that he comes out when you aren't around, or sleeping? I wouldn't try to grab him out, this will just cause him more stress. You can, however, put a mouse outside of his hide, and maybe he'll come out to eat. (I assume you feed frozen/thawed) Make sure the rest of his hides are nice, tight places for him to curl up in. If they are too big, it can stress the snake out too.... Good luck!

:
::Hi. I bought my first california kingsnake about a week ago. Everything was great until about a week ago. In his tank I have this big fake branch/root type thing that I had left over from a frog tank I had before. What I didn't think about was the snake going into an opening in the piece...which is just what happened. I didn't think much of it at first, but it's going on 8 days now that hes been in there and I'm starting to get a little worried. Is it normal for a snake to remain in hiding for this long? If this is in fact a problem, is there any way to stir him out? Once he was out I would remove this hiding spot and replace it with one I can get him out of when neccessary. Because right now it's like I don't even have a snake. Also, should I just put his food in anyway? Will he be able to smell it and come out to get it, or should i wait until he finally emerges? I would apprecciate any advice because I'm getting a little frustrated with this situation.
::

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Beginner Snake Forum ]