kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Captive conditions....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Boa Forum ]

Posted by Joemac on May 07, 2003 at 11:20:51:

In Reply to: Captive conditions.... posted by RioBravoReptiles on May 07, 2003 at 09:15:42:

I'm peruvian too, and I know the situation there.

Keeping boa is illegal in Peru. You can purchase boas in Lima or in another city without a problem, but it's still illegal. The big majority of those people who sell the animals, don't give a sh*t about the animals and usually keep the boas in very bad conditions. You say that the need to rescue an individual animal from some horrible situations is too strong to resist, and I think that is true and wrong at the same time. If you buy boas for that reason, you'll buy boas the rest of your life, and the people who sell them, will continue to take animals from there habitat. I though like you once (and I buy my first boa with that in my head), but fianlly is the wrong idea (the demand makes the supply).

Now, I don't know personally the responsables of the farms in Iquitos, and it's true that the boas are not keep in optimal condition. But it's true too, that in Iquitos (and other cities), the people is very poor and to have the best equipement is just unreal and a dream. So why having those animal ? well, someones for selling them, others just for keeping them. Maybe the boas are better in their own habitat. But many people don't understand that, and for those who do for the money, is worst. There are persons with good will, but the money problem, can't make a better condition for thoses boas.

It's not a excuse, not at all; but the reality is very, but very different from USA, Germany, or France (i know that cause i'm leaving now in France since more than a year). Unfortunately for the boas, which are who pay the bill. Maybe they are all better in nature instead of our homes ("better" not in condition therm but in the ecological therm).

(i hope that the idea will be understand, it's not simple to explain in an other language that is not yours ^^;).

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Boa Forum ]