kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Captive conditions....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Boa Forum ]

Posted by RioBravoReptiles on May 07, 2003 at 09:15:42:

In Reply to: Herman........ posted by boavoyage on May 07, 2003 at 00:05:56:

I do not always agree with Hermann but I do not take Hermann's posts and opinions as personally as you seem to. You might want to consider why you believe your opinions are valid and a personal right, but his are arrogant and impertinant and akin to excrement..

I know Jorge said he was not starting a thread here.. basically that's like tossing a bone into a crowd of hungry animals and saying you're not responsible if a fight ensues. Nice try but it won't float....

This is a discussion on captive conditions. When we take an animal into captivity we are 100% resonsible for it. Indirectly, if we purchase animals from those who mistreat animals we are allowing or even encouraging that condition to continue, although I allow that the need to rescue an individual animal from some horrible situations is too strong to resist.

Jorge's photos and remarks implied an association with and support of those people keeping boas in terrible conditions. ok, those farmers themselves are poor and live in shacks.. Returning to rule #1, when we take an animal into captivity we are 100% responsible for it.. Of course, that may not be their way and perhaps they will improve conditions there as time passes but that still leaves a couple of valid observations.

First... nobody who has the welfare of these animals as a primary concern would encourage that situation in any way. If there is a more important reason for seeming to promote that abuse, just share it with us. One important reason might be that trading in these animals is the only way these people have to better their lives.. if that is so then just admit this is a business for them and tell us what steps you are taking to make the siituation better.

Second.. if these poor people are not keeping boas for sale to the live animal trade.. are they maintaining them for the skin-trade? for food? If they aren't keeping them for money, then our friend Jorge should easily convince them to release those boas and keep more chickens instead..

If my remarks offend somebody more than the apparent conditions those animals are kept in then that person should re-examine their priorities. I also take note of the keepers and re-sellers who make excuses for those goings-on. What are their standards for LTC, Feeds Great, Perfect and so on?

Of course if there is some game here where animals are secretly coming in from these places and you might want to get in line for new wild-collected Peruvian boas I could understand turning a blind-eye to the problems. Understand, not agree...

That's just my opinion..

Gus

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Boa Forum ]