kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Welcome...........

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Bearded Dragon Forum ]

Posted by LdyPayne on May 08, 2003 at 20:24:59:

In Reply to: Welcome........... posted by Joel R on May 08, 2003 at 13:07:59:

It's good you are doing research first.

For the 20 gal you may be able to get away with a 60W basking light. I have a 35 gal tank for my young beardie (about 5 months old now) and it gets plenty hot...I bought a hooded clamp from Canadian Tire (I am sure you can get the same thing from any hardware/home improvement type store like home depot) for half the price of just a hooded socket from the petstore. They rate up to 75 W bulbs. The maximun temperture in teh baskign spot should be around 105 F. I am not really confident it is good to have babies under anything hotter than that but that is my personal feelings. My bearded dragon starts to gab at anything higher than 100F

The cooler temperature shouldn't fall below 65f at night and if your home temperature is consistantly around 72-75 F you shouldn't have to worry about it. You do need the cool area around 80-85F during the day to give a place for your dragon to go to cool down if he gets too hot. I would recommend buying a good digital indoor/outdoor probe to monitor the high/low temperature in the basking spot and a cheaper digital indoor/outdoor to monitor the cooler end.

Hmm think I answered all your questions for now.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Bearded Dragon Forum ]