kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Question about food...Babyfood okay?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Bearded Dragon Forum ]

Posted by LindsayMarie on May 02, 2003 at 23:30:11:

In Reply to: Question about food...Babyfood okay? posted by Jo_OscarsMom on May 02, 2003 at 13:57:58:

Hmmm! What companies are you using for crickets? Also when you say giant mealworms do you mean actual giant mealworms or superworms?

Also has your vet been treating your beardy for coccidia and hookworms? You would need both albon and panacur. How did he prescribe them? I have found that most of the vets here prescribe the right medication but the dosing method is off!

Also just as important as medication is cleaning! When your dragon has parasites it is EXTREMELY important to keep his/her cage extremely clean. To do this I would recommend a thorough cleaning with a bleach/water solution. Mix approximately 1/4-1/2 cup of bleach to one gallon of water. Take out all wooden cage ornaments and only use what is absolutely necessary. Wash and dry the cage thoroughly along with all cage ornaments. Use non printed white paper twoels for substrate during treatment and I wouldnt recommend branches, logs with crevices, or porous food bowls. I know the cage will look bare but it will make getting rid of the parasites easier and quicker. Also dont forget to spot clean with a bleach/water solution with every poop/pee and thoroughly clean the cage at least 2-3 times a week. Some do it daily.

Also dont reuse food. If you offer crickets and worms and he doesnt eat them all dont put them back in the bin! You might want to consider getting rid of all feeder foods and buying new ones before treatment. I would. But others will probably disagree.

If I had to guess I would say your beardies main problem is the hookworms. Other parasites tend to increase the levels of coccidia which seem to naturally appear in the beardies body in LOW levels. Once stressed by say hookworms the body gets over loaded with coccidia as well. I could be wrong though!! Just make sure you are treating both the hookworms and coccidia and using the most sterile environment for your dragon during treatment that you can.

Goodluck! Sorry so long. Lindsay

ps. I would not use baby food as a daily food. Maybe you can try other feeders such as silkworms, roaches, grasshoppers (hard to get in the usa).

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Bearded Dragon Forum ]