kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Does anyone see a problem with this?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Ball Python Forum ]

Posted by DeltaWoods on May 18, 2003 at 01:13:51:

In Reply to: Does anyone see a problem with this? posted by ginevive on May 13, 2003 at 11:03:58:

:OK I am new to ball pythons, I admit. I got my first one a few months ago. But already I have spent well over $50 on his care, caging, heating/electrical requirements, feeding especially, and upkeep. And this is all true, even though I got him for free (adopted), so an initial snake-purchase/shipping cost is not included in my estimate of how much I spent on him. If I had bred him, say, or bought him, a substantial investment would have had to be put forth, and I would not want to just give that away. Another thing, I think that if a $20 pricetag were in any way viable for balls, it would definately be implicated in the money-grubbing pet shops I have visited. If they, usually providing substandard care, cannot afford to sell the balls cheap, how could any good breeder?
:How could you break even by selling them for less than $50?
:While I'm at it, I'll stray off topic a bit. I am into frog/toad keeping also, but this is relevant to the cost of BPs also. I see Firebelly toads/newts/dwarf frogs at pet stores all the time, always priced at around $2-5. this cheap price encourages uneducated people, especially kids, to just buy them and not really care about them much. I have witnessed the gruesome sight of 4 african dwarf frogs frozen in ice on an outside porch of a house I delivered to once, in a poor neighborhood of town. I would fear that the low pricing on herps would lead to the ignorant and not-financlally-well-off people buying them and not being able or willing to care for them right. Pets are really a luxury, and their prices should be raised, if anything, not lowered...!!

My ball python was 70 dollars and i have spent over 200 dollars not including the price of the snake for everything he needs. Snakes are expensive but well worth it. I cannot think of anything else that i would have rathered spent my 300 dollars on.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Ball Python Forum ]