kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Can a virus save Frogs from fungal disease? . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Ringneck Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Exotic Pets Movement, Singapore

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Herp Forum Asia ]

Posted by DKK on August 30, 2001 at 21:28:24:

Did anyone read today's life section under This weekend? Its all on pets and I totally agree on wha the daniel guy said! Exotic pets in many other countries have associations and societies for them and are so totally legal but NOT IN SINGAPORE! Why? Well because AVA thinks that Singaporeans do not have enough information and knowledge about exotic pets and that exotic pets which includes wild animals might endanger the lives of the general public... well I dun think so and certainly do many people in this forum and other exotic pets owners!

It was in 1986 when Singapore imposed a restriction because of an international law whcih came about to prohibit the import and export of endangered speices. But instead of controlling the import and export of these endangered species like what many countries eg. USA, Britain, Hong Kong and Japan, are doing, they just simply decide its so much easier to just totally prohibit all import and export of endangered and wild animals! I think it is so unfair! I mean just imagine how big the pet market in Singapore would be if AVA would revise the restriction and consider allowing certain animals to be import and export and kept in Singapore. It would definitely be one of the big players in exotic pets trade and it would also contribute to the increase in certain endangered animals as some of us are already doing, by keepin them as pets and reproducing them and thus increasing their numbers in the world!

For example the chinchilla was introduced in 1997. What I'm trying to do here is I hope to gather as many people as possible to write pettitions and also I'll be writing to some associations and societies in USA and Britain to support our claim that exotic pets should be allowed in Singapore. I hope all those who are willing and capable of contributing to this revolutionary job to step forward and help me in this "Exotic Pets Movement".

Once again thank you all for your time in reading this article and please do come forward for our love in Exotic Pets!

Just for the benefit of overseas member, the Local authorities states that animals allowed as pets are dogs, cats, rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters, gerbils, mice, chinchillas, red ear sliders, and many types of other birds and fishes. The penalty for keepin exotics pets is a fine not exceeding $1000 and the forfeiture of the animal. Anyone caught importing/exporting of exotic pets would be fine up to $5000 and/or jail for a yr.

Sincerely

DeZ

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Herp Forum Asia ]