kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

your recount of the WWF frog girls Smack down is too funny!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Arrowfrog Forum ]

Posted by shopaholic on May 08, 2003 at 13:49:03:

In Reply to: 3-Imitators, 2 - vents. Need additional comparisons/info posted by Slaytonp on May 07, 2003 at 18:43:17:

Hi Patty:

I enjoyed your recount of the episode of WWF Smack Down your imitators aired for you!!! You, as an entertaining story teller, are a sure match for them, the star attraction! Your experience makes me dream about the imitators even more as I approach my first Frog Day on May 24th. I am still quite undecided between the Vents and the Imitators, and now after your story and your testimony that your little ones surely could not be called shy-I have more to think about. Why do you think people say that the imitators are shy? Are some this way from birth or the way we "parent" them? If it'd be your opinion that it'd be the latter-I am certain my parenting skills could produce a sanguine bunch of little frogs. I venture to think it could be such a reasons as "parenting" combined with genetics as I have 2 whippets(greyhounds)and temperaments started out quite different and with a great deal of training both were able to accomplish certain behavioral changes(however, I do notice a digression back to old nature if training is ceased-like my husband-j/k). But, perhaps I am just wishfully thinking that I would have such a connection with an animal that is ectothermic and that in reality, I'd never be able to give them the "warm fuzzies" feelings that the dogs get from me.

I love the frogs mainly for their visual beauty, interesting reproductive nature that I will get to observe, and being a part of saving a rare gift from becoming endangered or extinct. Now after processing this with you I think what will push me in one direction or the other is to know which of these frogs would I be able to observe more engaged in interesting behavior. Thank you for your help in obtaining my dreams!!

::A couple of days ago, I supported the imitators as a beginner's frog, but have had no experience at all with the vents, so can't compare. (My imitators certainly can't be called "shy.") The ladies do fight, which has always been more amusing than concerning. However, yesterday I witnessed a knock-down-drag-out bar brawl that went on for 45 minutes after I first observed it. I don't know when it began. Fortunately, I had filled the decorative fountain bowl at the bottom with moss when it became rather a nuisance to maintain as a fountain and I thought the rocks might be dangerous to them in case of a fall. These gals used the moss filled bowl as an arena. I misted them with the sprayer after awhile, hoping this would distract them, but all it did was refresh them for renewed effort. They rolled around, grasping each other, flinging, butting, lunging and appearing to be trying to bite, although I doubt they have the faculties for efficient biting. Unlike when one is defending a clutch of eggs or a brom cup with a tad, where the intruder is usually intimidated by show and some contact that appears impressibly more rough than it actually is, then chased off within a relatively short time, this appeared to be neutral ground upon which they were holding a grudge match that was much faster than the usual slow motion intimidation fights. This was on the bottom where they seldom stray, not within breeding territory, so they were equal and continued to duke it out. If I were a referee, I would consider the fight a draw when it finally ended and each hopped off her own way appearing less exhausted than I was from watching them. The usually dominant female was not necessarily winning this match. (I was glad they didn't have access to automated weapons and automobiles.) Today everything was back to normal, neither seeming the worse for it. This morning all four adults and the juvenile were peacefully sharing their favorite nightime resting spot before they went about their daily tad-egg care, breeding duties, as well as hunting wild beasts for sustenance.

:I like observing behavior with them doing their own thing rather than breeding them in pairs and raising the tads myself. This is definitely not the way to obtain many more imitators, as there is a lot of egg loss and tad loss when Dad transports and may lose one along the way, or deposits too many in one cup and cannibalism takes over.

:I am interferring to raise one tad myself that the others have neglected. The child called "It" syndrome in humans. He's still in the original bromeliad leaf, but I'm swiping an occasional egg from other feedings and feeding fish flakes with spirulia. An occasional fruit fly ventures his way and drowns, which he tears apart and eats. He's developed front legs and some color now, and will be on his own soon. I'm curious to find out if the frogs knew something I didn't by neglecting him.

:Everyone on this forum has a bit different approach and different things they want to get out of it personally. Weigh it all, then chose your own route. However we approach it, we are all sort of playing "God" without omnipotence. This is a humbling experience.
: Patty

:Let us know what you chose and how it goes!

:Patty

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Arrowfrog Forum ]