kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Entire view of the "Paludarium" sans kitty

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Arrowfrog Forum ]

Posted by kyle1745 on April 28, 2003 at 20:55:01:

In Reply to: Entire view of the "Paludarium" sans kitty posted by Slaytonp on April 28, 2003 at 19:06:17:

Nice, but looks like way too much water for darts, and very little land.

Kyle

:This is a 135 gallon fish tank I divided into terrarium/aquarium sections for the galacs and some small fish-- tetras, platys and an algae eater in each division. The right side is a 12 inch deep aquarium pool with a water fall. This narrows to 6 inches and 10 inches deep flowing over a glass barrier into a another section, which then goes over another barrier down to 8" into a lagoon where there is another waterfall. The water is picked up at the end and returned through tubing back to the two water falls. These are also backed by glass so they don't splash and leak into the terrarium portion. The glass dividers are covered on both sides with cocos fiber attached with silicon which hold bromeliads. There is some wicking which causes the aquarium water to be a light tan, but the fish don't mind this and neither do I. I do partial water changes every couple of weeks, but it is pretty well balanced in all.

:Excess water from the terrarium is sumped out with a turkey baster from a small sump corner in each land section.

:The branches extend into the water for easy egress in case the frogs fall in-- and they do. Galacs are both eager and clumsy, but can swim rather well. The branches are our local mountain mahogany, which is very dense and resistant to decay. It is one of the few woods that don't float in water.

:I regret my photos aren't of the great quality I've seen elsewhere on this site. I've just used a digital without lighting and backdrops, so there are often annoying reflections and flash spots. You guys have shamed me into getting out the 35mm. and trying a bit harder-- "one of these days."

:I planed the waterways, then had glass cut and beveled on the top edges to fit the design. I simply silconed it all together. Knock on wood, it hasn't leaked since it was built a year ago.

:It isn't a high tech thing, but it works for me and the frogs. (I have time to do the turkey baster routine daily).

:Patty

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Arrowfrog Forum ]