kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Cause of death? (YANN)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Anole Forum ]

Posted by Yann Horstink on April 04, 2003 at 03:10:45:

In Reply to: Re: Cause of death? (YANN) posted by rowad on April 03, 2003 at 15:26:58:

~~I have...when I was using reptisand and the crickets were loose...he swalled a whole gulp of the stuff and I stopped using it.~~

I know there is an posibillity that the swallow substrate (indeed the smaller subsrate like sand). I'd never seen it only. It's know it from dry habitat living animals (Eublepharis, Pogona and much other), and here it is only seen as an true problem, since the swallow to much. I have done plety of necropsies on these reptiles with this death cause. I'd never have seen it on an Anolis, neighter in a reference.

~~MBD in reptiles shows thick leggs, not the body.

:The WD's on the other forum had MBD, and the owner showed Xrays and photos...the body was swollen...the limbs (in the xray) were disintergrating (sparse)...the reptile looked healthy otherwise.~~

Indeed Xrays show much of this multidificienty (verry thin, and broken bones). MBD (Metabolic Bone Disease) is an name for more deficienty deseases (like rachites). So not only a deficienty of Calcium and vitmanine D3 as most people think. In much cases the animals keep up the good eating and look healty. In other cases the ave problem with walking and climbing so you can see the have problems getting there food. Btw, MBD is pourly known in carnivoure reptiles (especially snakes). Most problems are seen a herbivoures, like green iguanas and tortoises. Most cases of MBD start by an to less of Ca and to much P.

Typical symptomes are:

- shaking with the feed ("puting it back");
- swollen limbs (...swollen body is more unique; probably related to an infection of Salmonella, and a diverse of Nematoda);
- broken limbs;
- paralyses of limbs

There are much more symptomes but you may not that yourself.

~~It was first thought it was an impaction because of the swelling, but it ended up being MBD (the xrays were taken because the owner really thought the swelled abdomen was a sign of impaction). If you want the link I'll look for it...if anything it was very interesting.~~

I like to see the link yes. The story makes me curious.

For other responds see reply on above story of ALanolis.

~Yann

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Anole Forum ]