kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Really good pictures i took of my Alligator Lizards

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Alligator Lizard Forum ]

Posted by LightningHunter on April 06, 2002 at 23:58:44:

In Reply to: Re: Really good pictures i took of my Alligator Lizards posted by Ryan on April 05, 2002 at 17:46:50:

The big lizard I caught in the monterey bay here does not like to be messed with. she knows by now that when I open up the top of the cage it means food time. But if I try to pick her up she will open hes mouth, hiss, and breathe really heavy. I picked hem up a few times, but she bit me once and it did not feel good at all. she was about 3 inches smaller at the time. I don't try to pick hem up anymore :)

Im pretty sure they can be tamed if you catch them young and hold them everyday. I saw someone who used to hold the same type of alligator lizard I have, and it would sit there and not mind at all.

The Madrean Arizona lizard does not bite at all. He runs from you if you try to pick him up, but he does not ever open his mouth. Once you pick him up he just gives up and sits there. I think if I were to hold him everyday he would adjust, but I don't really feel like bothering them.

The lizard that I caught here is about 12 inches long. Her tail isnt as long as her body lengh though. I would guess she would be really long if she never lost her tail. Her body width is really thick, maybe about a inch and half.

They make really nice pets if you enjoy watching them eat and dominate their cage :)
I would like to try and tame one in the future sometime. I will probably never try it on my 2 lizards right now because they are not used to being held enough.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Alligator Lizard Forum ]