kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Snake Folklore

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Academic Forum ]

Posted by Milkman on October 17, 2002 at 20:15:39:

In Reply to: Snake Folklore posted by Winter on October 17, 2002 at 13:47:34:

:Hi folks,

:I am trying to collect some data on instances of snake folklore in the US from hobbyist and breeders for a project at my university. I would appreciate if any of you could post any samples you have come across in your years of experience.

:An example of snake folklore would be the belief that snakes must coil to strike, or that snakes have "slimy" skin. Any stories, song, food, religious practices, etc., that would concern snakes also counts.

:Meanwhile, I am off to research at the library. :)

:I appreciate your help!

:Lauren
:Florida State University

I used to reside in Florida[ST-PETE] to be exact. But now I am in Kentucky,I moved here because all of my family is here and they all went to U.K where I currently go and I am getting ready for vet school in South America. Sinse most of my family are from a small town.They always tell ole wives tails.As an avid reptile lover as well as other animals.The first thing I did was ask questions on where to find them.They ended up trying to tell some crazy stories,Like snakes would bite their tails and roll down hills to scar people,an during the later part of summer that snakes where blind and more apt to bite people,and some snakes could interbreed because they stay in the same dens during the winter[like copperheads breading with garter snake.I dont know if this is what you where looking for,but I will ask some of the older people around here tomorrow.If this is te kind of stuff you are looking for e-mil me

THANKS
DERRICK MULLINS
DAM6945117@AOL.COM
PIKE COUNTY KENTUCKY
THE MOST EASTERN PART OF KENTUCKY

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Academic Forum ]