kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Difficulty getting CITES II export permit from US

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The CITES Forum ]

Posted by Roy Stockwell on January 20, 2003 at 01:27:42:

In Reply to: Difficulty getting CITES II export permit from US posted by Wu-Gwei on January 14, 2003 at 20:57:15:

The biggest problem with getting CITES export permits, is first finding an American willing to apply for them.
They may have to prove legal origin of their specimens, ie how they came to the USA.
Some species that are known to be legally imported in mass, tend to be "blanketed" and export permits will come with few problems.
Other species where there are few known legal founder stock will be trickier to get permits for.
Such is the case with almost all Australian fauna, since they don't export, and haven't for eons.

Any animals crossing the border by car, will also require the "exception from Designated port permit" as border ports are handled differently from
designated ports, thus they have a special permit for this..It's only 25 bucks for 2 years...
The normal US import/export license will also be required, and your friend will need to have that if he is the one bringing them out of the US.
He will also have to book the inspection 2 days in advance.
Chelonians cannot be imported without a special Canadian permit.. This is very restrictive, and last I heard, the imports can't be sold or traded.

:I am getting a friend to bring across the border CITES II torts, crocs & other herps. How difficult is it to get the permits from the US? I have read R. Stockwell's, USF&W, & CITES websites about process, but I would like some practical experience/advice.

:Cheers,
:JJ

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The CITES Forum ]