kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: question for meretseger

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Viperidae Forum ]

Posted by GaboonKeeper on January 23, 2003 at 21:35:29:

In Reply to: Re: question for meretseger posted by zak on January 23, 2003 at 19:31:39:

Well Zack, The reasons are.....
#1 The way they are caught.... Manhandled and nused.....
#2 In the export country they are held in bins for weeks some times months on end no food or water is provided..... They are pilled on top of eachother..... On the bottom of the bins you have nothing more than liquified snake.....
#3 By the time they get to this country they are so dehydrated and malnurished that a huge % die just from that....
#4 Stress is a huge killer in reptiles..... It open the door for things to kill them that would normaly be no threat to them in the wild......
#5 When in the care of someone that realy has no idea on how to treat certain sicknesses the snakes will wind up dying a slow death.....
#6 If you read on some past post and you see some that say.... "I bought a gaboon or rhino viper last week and now its dead"..... Or.... " my king cobra wont eat"..... Thats because the buyer is not prepared or even remotely ready to care for such a specialized animal..... And I have seen alot of those post.... And like I said before The parasites not being treated and lung infedtions, bacteria and other infection not being taken care of all contribute to the % of animals that expire before the 2nd year in captivity....... There are alot more factors but I will not get into everything...... Later......

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Viperidae Forum ]