kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Guessing at the message

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Venomous Snake Forum ]

Posted by MsTT on May 12, 2003 at 20:10:25:

In Reply to: Not all of us have kids posted by jared w on May 12, 2003 at 16:11:23:

:I have seen lots of venomoiders (since I have attended every major east coast herp show since 97) and have seen them in a crowd let venomoid cobras chew on there arm?!?! WHAT MESSAGE ARE THEY SENDING?

I think it would be something like, "Hi, I'm a total idiot and I deserve a Darwin Award."

Cobra venom glands are a little more complex than those of the viperids. They are quite long, go right to the base of the fang and they can be hard to differentiate from other tissue in the same region. What looks like a duct in a cobra is in fact gland tissue capable of secreting venom. I've sat in on a number of surgeries that involved this area, and also on some interesting veterinary lectures on the subject of venomoiding.

Leaving some of the glandular tissue intact would be a pretty easy mistake to make given how complex the organ is and how difficult it is to separate from the other tissues. The result of course would be the capacity to deliver a small but still significant quantity of venom. Regeneration is also a very real possibility.

There was a not-very-amusing case at a major facility in England that involved a venomoid monocled cobra and a visitor who received a fairly nasty envenomation. There's another keeper in the States with nerve and tendon damage to his arm courtesy of a venomoid Gaboon viper, from the physical force of the bite alone. I don't think it's a very bright idea to play with venomous snakes whether or not somebody tells you they're venomoid.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Venomous Snake Forum ]