kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Some people are so stupid! (long)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Uromastyx Forum ]

Posted by MidnightFalcon on April 23, 2003 at 12:24:29:

I don't know how many people read it, but a month or two ago I posted about approaching a pet shop manager about the conditions of his reptile. This isn't an individual pet shop. It's a chain, it's Animal House. You know that place that tries to sell English Bulldog puppies for $3,500.

Well, anyway.. to the point, they really got me P.O'ed. I hadn't been there for awhile so I didn't know if they'd done anything with the reptiles, but I was over there anyway so I went in and I went back there and looked. This is what I saw.

A Kenyan Sand Boa covered in mites, an iguana and uromastyx together on Vita-Sand. A baby ball python stuck in it's shed (the skin was turning brown and wouldn't come off.) Two chamelons in with a pac-man frog, a water snake listed as a kingsnake and with no water, and baby chemeleons in those little containers that baby snakes come in.

I walked over to the guy (and girl) in charge of the reptile apartment and I asked them what they were doing about the mites on the boa, and the girl said they were picking them off, and I told them they need to put some medicine in there that kills the mites, and she told me that all you needed to do was pick them off. Then I told them that they need to get the pac-man frog out of the chameleon tank because the stress of possibly getting bit by it would kill them. They didn't say anything about it. I then told them that Uros and Iggys need a completely different enviornment. When I told them Uros need a dry very hot heat, and iguanas needed a moist heat, that's not as high as igs, they said no they don't because they come from the same enviornment.
Then when I voiced my thoughts about the ball python they said it just started shedding today. Then comes the baby Chams. Nope, they don't need much room.

I told the manager about this and he asked me why I was trying to run his store.

So.. I'm gonna call around, and see if anyone can do something about it.. but that really ticked me off to see animals in conditions as bad as those were, and when I ask them to do something for them, they aren't even concerned.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Uromastyx Forum ]