kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: SWEETWATER RATTLESNAKE ROUND UP

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Texas Herp News Forum ]

Posted by nightwalker on February 18, 2003 at 15:07:33:

In Reply to: Re: SWEETWATER RATTLESNAKE ROUND UP posted by milkman on February 17, 2003 at 22:32:25:

twenty years ago i thought that roundup were a good thing but after seeing more and more snakes being killed most of these were not comeing from places where people would have ever been in danger seeing gas and auto exhaust froced down ever hole it became clear that this is being done only for the money i watched a man buy 260' of bull snakes these were brought in to the roundup being caught in several dens when asked what he was going to do with them he replied that if a petshope did not want them he would sell the skins for 1.00' this man made the brag that he was the biggest shipper of reptiles in Texas he claims to have shipped 25000 lizards from the cross plains aera in the last 25 yrs this is why i feel that there should some type of limit on what can be taken from the wild i dont think Texas is in bad shape yet but if we dont start thinking ahead we will be soon
:Maybe the REDNECK ROUNDUPS dont have to be such a bad thing.Dont get me wrong I think the senseless killing of any animal is wrong,and the cruelty factor just makes me irate(these poor snakes being gassed from their homes and then starved and forced to live in feces is just wrong it makes me want beat the living piss out of these people)If we have to kill off a certain amount of them,then we should have a quota on them.When I lived in Florida some of the mangement areas had designated hunts (a quota,once a certain # of animals where killed that was it)for wild pigs.Maybe we can have something like that.Plus instead of completely condeming the rounups Herp societies could set up booths and have demenstrations on the importance of reptiles so they dont grow up to be BEER BELLY HILLBILLYS like their elders.They might come away from these roundups with some knowlege about their enviroment.If we keep teaching kids then hopefully in a few years the rounups will be no more.Sorry to rant for so long.
:DERRICK
:MILKMAN

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Texas Herp News Forum ]