kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Look at my new stinkpot!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Turtle Forum ]

Posted by Sonya on May 12, 2003 at 20:25:52:

In Reply to: Look at my new stinkpot! posted by keri on May 12, 2003 at 16:01:58:

:My goodness... I don't think I was being militant at all... I actually think I was very nice about the whole thing... I answered their questions and recommended it be released. I'm not saying that this country treats it's wild turtles great, all I was saying was that it is a wild caught animal and that I beleive it should stay wild. As far as what I said about it may not do well... I did not suggest it would immediately drop dead, but wild caught turtles can tend to be shyer and more skittish that cb, also they may have a much harder time beginning to eat in captivity... I'm not swaying he can't do it, but there is something to the idea that it may struggle. All I'm saying is that I don't ever recommend removing wild turltes for pets when there are PLENTY of captive bred ones available, why mes with the einvironment in even a small way when you can spend the extra cash for one that was cb? I'm not trying to start a fire-storm here... and I felt like I was plenty helpful and polite about their questions, I just recommended they release it. Sorry if that recommendation offends anyone, but I think you'll find that many in the turtle community support cb programs over wc.

I don't think it has offended anyone. I personally responded because it is a sore thing with me that the laws have been passed regarding possesion or sale of 4" and under turtles. (find me that many muds over that size!) That and it then kicked all the wholesalers to collect mature breeders from the environment for sale...they are, after all, big enough to sell. How in the world that encourages breeding babies...when it is illegal to sell baby sized ones. So, am I missing something?
That and I stand behind my statement that that turtle has a better chance of survival in captivity. Muds are fiesty little monsters. And I have yet to meet a WC turtle that didn't quickly learn to eat in captivity, usually out of my hand and following my every move begging for more. The only fragile things is usually parasites or injury that they acquired in the wild. One thorough vet check and they tend to thrive. And I don't really think it hurts the environment that much.....think about it. Any turtle that is endangered is more likely to be captive bred where all the common ones are WCs for $8 ea and not 'worth' breeding. Until the turtle fancy gets to a point of going for 'morphs' etc I am afraid it is gonna be hard to tell some kid to go spend $30 for a turtle he could find crossing the highway on any given day. And breeding for morphs is gonna take wild caughts.
Just thoughts,
Sonya

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Turtle Forum ]