kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: A question on keeping native species ?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The TSHS Forum ]

Posted by Lisa on March 21, 2002 at 02:56:35:

In Reply to: A question on keeping native species ? posted by Raven on March 21, 2002 at 00:49:07:

If you have a valid PA state fishing license, you can keep two of each species - ie. 2 black rats, 2 painted turtles, etc. But if you have a male and a female of a species, hope they don't breed, because you can't keep the babies, and as you noted, you can't sell them... The laws don't say anything about trading or releasing captive bred native species, though, as far as I know.

There is a legal loophole (I think) that may allow petstores to sell "native" species - if they keep the documentation from their wholesaler/dealer that the animal came from another state that allows collecting, or was captive bred. (This would only apply to species that have ranges that extend outside of the PA state borders, of course.) In other words, your black rat may have been captive bred, or collected, in South Carolina. If the store has documentation to prove that, they may be ok. I don't know if the Game Commission is totally ok with that though, I guess that loophole could be abused.

Somewhere I have a link to the current PA state herp laws, if I find it I'll post it for you to check out.

Lisa

: Can you keep 2 of each species (like 2 black rats, 2 box turtles, 2 painted turtles, ect - ), as Ive recently heard from several people, or 2 animals (1 black rat, 1 painted turtle) in general (and no more) at any time?

: I know you can not sell wild caught native animals, even though I bought my black rat snake at that fish place -

: I was told by a friend that with a fishing lisance, you could keep only 2 animals. I have a black ratsnake, and an eastern painted turtle.

: Ive told people that this was the case - am I incorrect?

: Can I keep more native species?

: Thanx alot, in advance,
: Raven-

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL: