return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Pine Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - May 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - June 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - June 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - June 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - June 08, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Help for Russian Tortise

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Terry on July 08, 1999 at 12:48:19:

In Reply to: Re: Help for Russian Tortise posted by Betty on July 08, 1999 at 07:16:51:

: Thanks for the advice. The person that gave it to me said it belonged
: to her brother who went into the Army. It was kept inside for the past 4 years and since he has
: been gone her mother has been throwing some lettuce in every once in a while.
: I put him in an outside enclosure. I gave him squash, cucumber, carrots and the
: lettuce from a ceaser salad (no dressing of course)with vitiams on it but so far
: he has not eaten. Should I try soaking him? Any other suggestions?

: Thanks Betty

Betty, make sure he has a hide box he can go in to feel secure, a shallow dish ( plant pot saucer) he can drink from.
Is the enclosure planted with grass?
If so he should start nibbling on that soon.
It must be quite shock for him to suddenly be outside, he'll need to get used to it.
Offer a variety of foods, I offer my tortoises a vatiery of leafy greens, not just one kind.
Make a mix of endive, romaine, watercress ( the large leaf variety) and a small amount of collards. Sprinkle with a little Rep Cal, you can grate a little yam or squash in too.
Place the food near him and leave him in peace to eat, just keep trying, he won't starve himself.

The cucumber is an empty food, offering very little in the way of nutrition, I know there are a few people that keep russians that post here, hopefully they can help you out more.
Is this your first tortoise?
Terry.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]