return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Pine Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - May 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - June 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - June 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - June 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - June 08, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: what's the right tortise to get? Turtle?Please help me!!!!!!!!!!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Terry on June 12, 1999 at 12:21:57:

In Reply to: what's the right tortise to get? Turtle?Please help me!!!!!!!!!!!! posted by Kristen on June 12, 1999 at 11:22:00:

: I live in New Jersey and recently went to New York. At a pet store there, I saw a tortise for $30.00. When I went home, I decided I wanted to know what type it was and do a little research. I still haven't figured it out and I wondered if you could help me. It was about 7-9 inches long and was a dusty color. I didn't know it's age but since I'm getting a pond in my backyard, I decided I would go back and buy him. However, I won't buy him (if it is a him)until I do enough research. Also, my pond is 2 1/2 feet deep and I know tortises can drown so I was planning on blocking it off. I have a fenced in yard but it is not dug in deep enough so I will have to put chicken wire under it or something. What should I put under it? I don't want my yard to look like a mess so I don't want to put chicken wire around the pond. That would look horrible! I'm sorry I'm going on but I want to know what's best and what I should do. Please help me if you can!! Thanx a bunch!!!!!!!!!

Why don't you call the pet store and ask what kind of tortoise it was? Let us know.
You could build a brick wall around the pond, about 18" high, not sure about the fence. Apart from building a new one. If it's not secure and sunk in the ground chances are the tortoise will escape.
You could build an outdoor enclosure for the tortoise. It would need to be as large as you can , with the walls sunk in the ground. For a *small* tortoise, about 20'-20' would be a decent size.
It should be in an area with both sun and shade, an overnight shelter etc.The enclosure walls could be made from fencing boards. If you use 8' long fencing boards ( three boards high) bottom board sunk in the ground halfway.You would need 24 boards to make a 16'-16' enclosure. With wooden support stakes along the sides and corners.
Dont use chicken wire, not only is it too flimsy, but if the tortoise can see out he will want out, and will never settle down. Also could injure it self on the wire.
And another enclosure indoors for the winter.
So although the tortoise you saw cost thirty dollars, there is also the cost of building indoor/outdoor enclosures,and overnight outdoor shelter. When indoors for the winter it will need UVB lighting a basking lamp, possibly a heat lamp, hide boxes and other supplies for the indoor enclosure.
Call the pet store, ask what kind of tortoise it was and let us know. We'll go from there!!
Terry.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]