kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: New Russian Totrtoise Indoor Habitat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by ravexl on April 16, 2003 at 17:36:15:

In Reply to: Re: New Russian Totrtoise Indoor Habitat posted by brad wilson on April 16, 2003 at 16:53:51:

::Thanks for the info brad. I've been to the russiantortoise.org sent many many times, very useful. The coverage on indoor pens however seems to be just a rubbermaid box with hay... doesn't seem like a very happy environment for a tortoise.

:That's just a minimalist setup, not what is considered optimal.

::As for the heat, I really thought that this lamp would be suffecient, it was the biggest and most wattage! hahah. The tub's rather large, it can fit 2-3 people, so I suppose I need something better. I'll see what I can rig together to get more heat and proper lighting.

:You don't have to heat the entire tub to 95, just a small spot. Maybe move the lamps closer to the floor. One tortoise will only need an 8" wide area at that heat. For the rest of the tub you can string up a two-tube fluorescent shoplight fixture. The bulbs can be expensive if you wish to get fancy - some people swear by the expensive UV bulbs sold in petstores. If you are going to give your tortoise some real sunlight when possible, and include some calcium/d3 supplement in his diet, then you can get by with some "full spectrum" bulbs like GE Sunshine fluorescents. They have a more natural light spectrum and put out a little UV.

I've been using calcium/D3 powder on his food, and have bathed him regularly as well. The lamps are only about 6-7" off the surface, but the thermometer placed underneath only hits the high 80's. These are pretty big lamps, so, I think this ceramic heater just isn't working too well. I'll try and find a better replacement. I'll check out some tube fixtures and the items you recommended.

:Above is my opinion - some people feel UV lighting (in fluorescent or the fancier mercury vapor bulbs) are a necessity.

:
::It seems I'm better off with some sort of portable table type design. A system with an extension cord and caster wheels... hrm.

:Try to give your tort at least 8 sq ft. They really like to crawl around and explore. If your tub gives him about that much, don't worry about buying or building something unless you really want to.

I think I really want to... because natural light and atmoshpere I'm sure is good for him. We'd like to have the tub available to us as well! It's a great tub to relax in.

Since I'm doing this once again, should I consider something else besides dirt base? You can't beat the price!

:Good luck.

I'll need it! :D

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]