kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Desert Iguana . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Frog . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: % of decent pet shops

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by prettykitty on April 02, 2003 at 21:10:21:

In Reply to: Re: % of decent pet shops posted by oregonlizardlady on April 02, 2003 at 00:14:24:

The idea is to take away animals that are being neglected, not take them away because people are giving out improper information or the animals are overpriced. I'm not saying I support giving out the wrong information because I don't, but its 2 different issues. As someone has already stated above, these organizations do have their own agendas and they make more money adopting out pure bred animals. The state vet and her staff are supposed to be the ones regulating and inspecting the pet stores. RI isn't very big so I don't see why someone else needs to do the job. Also, does anyone know if they have to get permission from someone else before seizing the animals? And how do they prove they are who they say and really do work for a humane organization? I have been in the pet business for 6 years, including 4 in RI and while I may not think every store is doing a great job, I have never seen animals being neglected or mistreated. I've seen a lot of customers take things the wrong way, lie about what they see and just not understand and turn nothing into issues of animal neglect. Also, just a few months ago the animal shelter in Cranston, RI was closed because it was unsafe for the animals and many of the animals were euthanized because they couldn't find anything else to do with them. These are the same people that are going to be allowed to seize animals and they were the ones neglecting the animals. I would personally be very upset if I was working in a store where animals were seized and then put down because the shelter couldn't care for them or house them properly (not that it would happen since I would not let the animals be neglected but just a scenario). Sorry for the tangent but I do not think this would be a good idea at all because most shelters are all for shutting down pet stores and if they were allowed to seize animals without proof then the shelters could easily put the stores out of business.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]