kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: % of decent pet shops

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by oregonlizardlady on April 02, 2003 at 00:14:24:

In Reply to: % of decent pet shops posted by labendwa on March 31, 2003 at 14:34:24:

I just have to add that the three pet shops within driving distance from me here in Oregon, are less then good. 2 of the three have sick animals and nasty living conditions. The one that looks good, gives out wrong or missleading information on the care and size of the animals it sells. Plus they are all way over priced. One pet shop i went to had a sulcata, hermans, russian and a red foot all housed in the same 10 gallon glass tank. Nothing on the bottom but a small piece of green carpet and a 75 watt house bulb for a light.

:
:Hi,

:Just my opinion having visited many shops when I travel around on vacation.

:The large chains tend to vary on care depending on who is in charge in the local shop, or area supervisor. The ones in NJ are tending to get better (in appearance), are offering free handouts on care, but the help in the shops usually are part time and give awful advice. The ones I see rarelly consult the manager and just tell people whatever they want to hear. Of course, I have been to many large herp shows, and the situation is sometimes worse because mixed among reputable dealers are those who will do or say anything for a sale.

:In NY - White Plains - even some of what are known to be "better dealers" had pyramided leopards for sale as "quality torts." And many had species mixed - just in case any pathogens weren't transferred accidentally these could now be passed between species by keeping them in close contact. This is not to mention dealers selling adult (obviously wc torts ) specimens as "likely captive bred" - sure they were considering their beat up shells.

:But, again there are some really nice shops with knowledgeable people. Again, I see more of these in warmer climates - basically in states with local breeders.

:The sad part is that novices do not do their research and are easily misled. Consequently, dead herps and unhappy keepers.

:An idea would be for local herp orgs to run workshops at as many pet shops as possible - having different members offering workshops at varying sites. This would introduce the organization, keep the shop on the top of its game, and help novice keepers. It might not be a bad idea to have the herp orgs have monthly meetings at large pet stores each month rather than zoos or museums.

:Just a few thoughts (personal opinions might be a better choice of words).

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]