kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Need advice for my Russian Tort

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Meghan on June 25, 2002 at 21:38:09:

In Reply to: Need advice for my Russian Tort posted by Tracy on June 25, 2002 at 19:43:57:

First of all you are feeding it the wrong things. Things not to feed a russian:
ALL fruit, ALL grains, avocado, beans, bok choy, Broccoli, Cabbage, Cheese, Dog/cat food (yes the two things just listed have been listed as a food source for a tortoise!), Iceburg lettuce, meat, peas, corn. Things to feed a russian as a variety:
Escarole, kale, lambs lettuce, radicchio, red/green leaf lettuce, romaine lettuce, rose petals, turnip/mustard/collard greens. Also mainly he should be eating wild flowers, For a great long list of what can be fed as far as flowers/weeds go email me and I will show it to you unless others on the list want to see it also. I am always willing to share this list with anyone.
I would soak her at least once a week. What is the calcium that you are giving her called? Does it have phosperous in it? If so how much is the ratio calcium to phospherous? What is her indoor setup like and how often is she in it? How long SCL (straight carapace length) is she? How much do you feed her and how often? Has she been to the vet since you have gotten her? Also one more question. How large is her outdoor setup and what is it like?

: I've had my russian tortoise for about a year now and I think I've made her sick. Her shell is curling up in the back (no soft spots) and her skin is shedding. I wasn't giving her any calcium until about two weeks ago. She gets plenty of UVB light during the day outside and inside with a lamp. Her diet consists of mixed veggies (corn,carrots,beans,peas,broccoli,lima beans, red leaf lettuce) She does not like fruit. I try just about any veggie. Had not thought about wild vegetation until reading this forum for the first time today. I tried petunias and she was not interested. I had not been giving her a dish of water, thinking she was getting enough through the veggies (she has a good appetite). But I do set her is a large pan of water for a good soaking every couple of weeks. Is the shell deformity and skin shedding a result of calcium deficiency or is there something else wrong.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]