kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Water Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: TAKE IT TO A VET!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by kathy on January 10, 2002 at 09:23:57:

In Reply to: Re: TAKE IT TO A VET!!! posted by Terry on January 10, 2002 at 09:08:10:

:Terry, Thanks for the advice. he is soaking right now. he is moving his head around but has his eyes shut. I will try to offer him food when he's done. It helps me a lot to know that other people care about him, he is really a sweet baby and we want him well. we can see the vet today at 2:00, I hope he can help him. Kathy

Kathy,
: please read my reply to you at the begining of this thread.

: Here's what I would do imediately.
: Get rid of the sand, use something like a clean towel on the bottom of the enclosure, But get rid of the sand.
: Sand has poor traction, can cause impaction and get infested with mites.

: Next, make sure that it's nice and warm, not too hot but overall warm in the enclosure. With a cooler side also.

: Around 86-90 in the warmer side. 75-80 in the cooler side.
: The tortoise must have both the warmer and cooler areas, so he can choose and thermoregulate.

: Next, soak the tortoise, if he's not eating or drinking then he's probably dehydrated.
: Soak him in warmish (baby bath warm) not hot water. Soak him for around 10 minutes, watching him the entire time.
: The water should only reach the bottom of his chin.
: When the soak is over, dry him well and put him in the warmer side of the enclosure.
: Be careful of placing him under the heat lamp though, if he doesn't move around much, he could overheat.
: A nice warm corner would be better.

: If he perks up at all after the soaking, offer him finely chopped up greens, such as endive, romaine. They must be very finely chopped if he's weak.

: Keep him warm and comfortable(not too hot)soak him daily, and offer the food after the soaks. Until you can get him to the vet.

: Hope this helps.
: Terry.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]