kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: TAKE IT TO A VET!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Terry on January 10, 2002 at 09:58:00:

In Reply to: Re: TAKE IT TO A VET!!! posted by kathy on January 10, 2002 at 09:23:57:

Kathy,
the warm soaks will help him stay hydrated and should help his eyes.
He may rub at them with his front legs while soaking.

The vet might give him fluids and possibly eye drops too.
The little tort will need lots of TLC and extra attention.

To keep my sick hatchling warm at night I provided a heat pad, one for humans from Wal Mart.
I placed a thick towel on the table , the heat mat on the towel, and another towel on top of the heat mat.
The Rubbermaid container on top of that towel, with the heat mat only under one half of the rubbermaid. So the tort can get away from the heat if it wants.

Another towel in the Rubbermaid, with the little torts cardboard box, (hide box) in the corner.

The towels under and on top of the heat mat ensure that, neither the table or the bottom of the Rubbermaid gets too hot.The towel in the Rubbermaid keeps in the warmth and further protects the tort from direct contact with the bottom of the rubbermaid.
It provides gentle underbelly heat for the tort.
I used the heat pad at night even in warm Hawaii while the little tort was sickly.

NEVER set the heat pad on anything but the LOW setting.

In the morning his heat lamp would go on and I'd allow him to warm up. Then give him a soak and offer his greens.
Within days he was gobbling the greens down, although at first he was weak and clumsy.

With lots of TLC , warmth at night ,good day time temps , a great vet and this daily routine he soon fully recovered.

That's what worked for me , so I thought I'd share.
Best of luck at the vets, you're right many people do care, one of the nice things about forums such as these.

Please post a follow up later, I know that a lot of us have our fingers crossed for you and the little tort..
Terry.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]