kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

where to buy?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by IA Reptiles on July 19, 2001 at 15:20:37:

In Reply to: Re: OK....Leopard it is....so....where to buy/breeding info? posted by Marissa on July 19, 2001 at 11:40:04:

I am not going to touch that other conversaion with a 10' pole.

Marissa,
thanks for the info. Unfortunatly, I am in an area that is not really a natural enviroment to much of anything in the way of tortoises...and I have had a facination with them for years and years and years...and years. :-)

What I have now is a small country home and acreage (some of which is for my horses, but I have a 1 acre or so area, that because of the way my property sits, It is not really suitable for the horses. That is where I have built my outdoor 'summer home') As for the winter, yes they get a little chilly here...ok ok ok...it gets COLD. However I have an older building (years and years and years ago it was a Hog building. Anyway, it has a dirt floor, and is heated. Last year I kept a sick horse in it all winter. The overall average temp was 76 all winter long. I am suplementing this with another heater and lights to create a thermal gradient in the building. The only thing that I do not feel comfortable with is providing UVB durring the colder months. I.e. there are large windows, but I know the glass filters out any benificial UVB. and I know that in order to get enough UVB from your 'reptisun' type bulbs I would need to keep them within a few inches (12-18) ot the tort. I dont know that that is practical...so I am looking into the Active UVheat...although I am not 100% sure of them....I may have no other choice.

So, I think I am set up ok for the care of them (and I know better than to get the big big boy) so my question is, can anyone point me to a good reputable, breeder? Someone that I can trust? Marissa you seem to have alot of experiance with these things (you help adopt out turtles?) could you give me some ideas as to where to look?

Thanks,

~Mike

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]