kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Annie and Catherine

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Commodore on March 08, 2001 at 23:23:38:

In Reply to: Sulcata Not Eating posted by Commodore on March 07, 2001 at 18:44:49:

Thank you Annie for your advice. Right now I cut up food every Monday and Thursday morning and store it in a smaller rubbermaid contaier. So it does mix together well. I don't think my little Sulcata has eaten in 2-3 weeks. Anything else I can try? I'm pretty concerned about the weight loss. I have an appointment with a reptile vet in Berkley, CA on the 17th. Maybe he can get to the bottom of this.

And Catherine....
Well, I'm pretty busy so every month or two I used to cut up a ton of food in a food processor and put it in in a rubbermaid container and freeze it. Every morning I'd take a hammer and a knife and cut out some food and defrost it in the microwave. It saves about 15 minutes every morning. They'd get a large variety of foods and all the nutrients, vitamins and minerals that they needed. They'd love it and scarf it down in no time.

There's a lot of different things captive tortoises go through in captivity then they do in the wild. I.e. they don't burrow 12 feet undergroud for moisture, they don't walk miles and miles a day in search of food, they don't have the harsh climates like they do in the southern sahara desert, tortoises in captivity in the US usually don't have access to wild grown native african plants, they don't have artificial heat and lights, no predators (not really sure if they have any in the wild), etc.

I guess after all that I'm just trying to say that the tortoises we have aren't in the wild, they are our kids that we take care of in our homes and yards.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]