kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: judgemental opinions.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by cc on January 12, 2001 at 19:22:07:

In Reply to: Re: judgemental opinions. posted by Marissa on January 11, 2001 at 22:39:30:

Marissa,

>>However, I may be more frustrated than you from >>all of the sulcata stuff I encounter, granted. >>Sometimes advice comes with information people >>just don't want to hear...then it's preaching?

I understand your frustration. It's not just Sulcata's that are unwanted pets. I have seen multitudes of cats and dogs unwanted, unloved, not cared for. Different animals, same frustration. My point to you, which somewhere along the line got lost, is this: no matter what you say, people are going to do what they want. Period. You may not like what Gary did, but quite frankly, it's none of your business. And to admonish him on a public forum, well, I think that's embarrassing. To me, that feels like preaching. All anyone can do now is help Gary when he needs help. I can't speak for him, but if I were admonished on a public forum I would think twice about ever posting there for advice again. And who suffers for that? The Sulcata.

>>If you want to call that preaching, well then >>EVERYONE here preaches. It's extraordinarily >>disheartening and sometimes fees like pushing >>back the tide with my bare hands.

Not everyone here preaches. Mostly, people ask questions and get straight answers.

>>When you say "we perfectly understand how large >>our sulcata are going to get"...which "we" are >>you referring to? Is "we" you? Is "we" some >>of the folks on this forum? We could pretty >>much refer to anyone out there who picked up a >>sulcata at the local pet shop...I'd be willing >>to hedge a bet that those "we" mostly don't >>have a clue or don't really believe or grasp >>the enormity of the future of sulcata >>ownership.

Ahhh, no. "We" refers to my husband and I, since I do not know what anyone else on this earth might be thinking. And we, being my husband and I, did extensive research, including reading your material and reading this forum, before we bought our Sulcata.

>>I did help this fellow Gary with tons of info, >>would you like me to forward those to you so >>you can see? I've been on this forum helping >>people for over three years now. Terry is one >>of the only ones who has been here as >>long...what sort of commitment to tortoises >>does that show you I have?

I am well aware of your contributions to the tortoise world. I have been reading this forum for 2 1/2 years, as I said I gave up posting here long ago. I do not question your knowledge or commitment. What I do question is what I perceive to be your condescending attitude toward people in some of your posts. I am not the first person to being this up. I feel strongly that even when people make the wrong decisions they should not be shamed. If they don't feel comfortable coming here asking for help (and it's not easy to find good advice on tortoises), the tortoises are the ones who suffer in the end.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]