kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: My son's russian tortoise died. One of many that will try to answer....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by m chambers on December 03, 2000 at 10:53:14:

In Reply to: My son's russian tortoise died posted by Rich on December 03, 2000 at 08:32:47:

the first thing that I would be aware of is the mixing of two (2) non captive animals. Two animals that are wild caught from different countries in the same cage. The next thing is while you may have done everything right, where did you get the russian? Either turtle may have been carrying a "bug". The bug could have been parasitic or virus or some other thing. reptiles can have these problems and seem fine one day and not the next. It could of been a gestation or incubate time sensitive situation on a problem. I'm sure others will post more on your unfortunate situation. But you might scroll down on this forum and seek more info.

Mike Chambers

: We have had a russian tortoise named pumpkin since september. She seemed healthy, ate well, was moving around and just stopped in a corner and didn't move again? Any ideas what happened and how to avoid this in the future.
: She was in a 2 x 3 shelter with a box turtle..both abot 6-8 inches...they never interacted that I could see. we fed her thinly sliced apples and romaine lettuce primarily but offered her a variety of leafy letuce type plants from the grocery store. Her pen is inside and the temp was aound 75 - 80 during the day, depending on what part of her pen she was in, and about 60 at night. About a month ago there were some smoe insect type creatures on her but they have been gone for a while.
: Lastly..Does any one know where I can find the Russian tortoise care video I've read about?
: Thanks for any help you can offer.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]